Friday, December 01, 2006

Verizon Rains on Our Parade

As you can tell from the previous post last month, I have been almost giddy at how well things have been working out for Telarus. Carriers continue to plead with us for inclusion in GeoQuote, our VAR program is taking off, our employees and agents are doing a tremendous job, and then POOF! Out of thin air we received a notice from Verizon Business that "[Telarus] was not selected for initial participation in the 2007 Verizon Solutions Provider Program." Adam and I were in SHOCK. Not only is our company rapidly becoming THE online resource for broadband and voice purchasing, we were told during the Verizon site visit last month that we were a "virtual lock" to get in to the program.

I thought that the feelings of anger and frustration were in the past. When Adam and I founded Telarus in 2002, we were met with red tape, road blocks, doubters, and all other forms of impediment to our idea of real-time T1 pricing. It took many years of hard work to prove to the carriers and the world that our business model was legitimate, feasible, and even profitable. But now, in the end of 2006, we're breaking records and raking in new commercial telecom service orders every day ... yet Verizon doesn't want us as a partner.

I suppose it is their loss, but my personal preference is to use rejection as a positive motivation influence in my life. Thus, I have framed the Verizon rejection letter which now adorns the wall of my office here in Draper, Utah. Every day I come to work I am greeting by the "you're not good enough" letter, which is better than any coffee at waking a person up and getting them psyched about the upcoming day! I suppose I should thank Verizon for filling my "missile lock" tank with fuel!

No comments: